About and Public Speaking
Gunnar Esiason is a cystic fibrosis and rare disease patient leader, who is passionate about early-stage drug development, patient empowerment and health policy. Professionally, he developed a patient engagement platform for a medical nutrition company, built a venture philanthropy practice at the Boomer Esiason Foundation and was the head coach of his high school alma mater’s varsity hockey team. He has consulted on clinical trial development, a real-world evidence population health study, and a cystic fibrosis-specific mental health and wellness screening tool. Gunnar has been the face of fundraising efforts for the Boomer Esiason Foundation, which has yielded more than $160 million for the fight against cystic fibrosis since he was diagnosed with the condition in 1993. His blog has amassed nearly 1 million page views since 2015.
Gunnar co-hosted the podcast, Breathe In: A Cystic Fibrosis Podcast, which climbed into the iTunes top 200 health podcasts at the end of 2018. He also recently hosted the podcast, The State of Health with Gunnar Esiason, which is available on all streaming services and featured several sitting US Senators, Governors and health industry leaders.
In 2019, Gunnar delivered the pre-commencement address at the St. Louis University School of Medicine commencement exercises.
During the coronavirus pandemic, Gunnar was a leading voice for equitable vaccine access for people with underlying health conditions.
Gunnar holds an M.B.A. from the Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth, an M.P.H. from the Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy & Clinical Practice, and a B.A. from Boston College.
He sits on the board of directors at the Boomer Esiason Foundation and No Patient Left Behind.
His health policy opinions have been featured in the Wall Street Journal, USA Today, The Hill, and STAT News. A complete list of Gunnar’s publications can be found under the publications tab.
Follow him on Twitter @G17Esiason.
Send Gunnar an email at GunnarsBlog@Esiason.org
Gunnar is available for speaking engagements, motivational talks, academic lectures, and cystic fibrosis family education days. Past engagements include:
- St. Louis University School of Medicine, Pre-Commencement Address 2019
- Plenary Keynote, National Society of Genetic Counselors Annual Conference (2020, virtual)
- Keynote, Cystic Fibrosis Research Institute Annual CF Education Conference (2021, virtual)
- Cincinnati Children’s Hospital
- Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center
- Boston Children’s Hospital
- Texas Children’s Hospital
- ProMedica Toledo Hospital
- Yale-New Haven Medicine
- Johns Hopkins Medicine
- Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin
- Maine Medical
- East Tennessee Children’s Hospital
- University of Vermont Medical Center
- University of California San Francisco Benihoff Children’s Hospital
- University of Wisconsin Health
- Children’s Hospital & Medical Center Omaha
- University of Virginia Health System
- Stony Brook University Hospital
- Colorado Children’s Hospital
- Baylor Scott & White Health
- Atrium Health
- Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital
- SUNY Upstate Medical University
- Cystic Fibrosis Family Connect Education Day (Western NY)
- Research!America National Research Forum (2021, virtual)
- Amwell Virtual Client Forum (2020)
- TuckTalks, Dartmouth College
- Oley Foundation (feeding tube-specific) Annual Conference 2015
- Annual Cystic Fibrosis Nutrition and Social Work Consortium (2016)
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, Real Life with CF Series (2018)
- Global Genes 2018 RARE Patient Advocacy Summit
- New Jersey Society for Respiratory Care Annual Shore Meeting (2018)
- Various healthcare industry sales meetings, conferences
Selected Academic Lectures:
- Dartmouth College, Master of Health Care Delivery Science orientation panel
- Penn State College of Medicine, Foundations of Patient-Centered Care
- Yale University School of Medicine